Monday, January 23, 2006

Day 1, Part 2...a new beginning

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away......

Well we finally got here, after visiting more countries in 26 hours than I have in the last 26 years! The flight isn't for the faint-hearted although we struck lucky quite by accident. It turned out that our trip would be a series of short hops via Dubai, Singapore, Brisbane and finally Auckland. I seriously think I would have gone mad if we'd have had the 2 thirteen hour trips that most people seem to take.

Anyway, it really is a fantastic place, although the experience hasn't been without its ups and downs. Things were going really well from the airport - we were fast-tracked through Immigration after being directed to the "families with young children channel"!! and two chic, sleek white taxis were there outside to meet us as arranged, to whisk us off to the apartment. The drivers was very nice, and very welcoming, although that could just have been because he knew in advance that the fare for a twenty minute trip would be nearly NZ$200!! Not to be deterred, we got into the apartment, jeglagged and somewhat unwashed, ready to relax and clean up.

"Arrrrrrrrgghhhhhhh, oh my God we can't stay here!"

Somewhat taken aback by Mrs C's initially reaction at what is a beautiful and spacious apartment, I calmly enquired as to her concern. She just pointed...to the floor-to-ceiling, single glazed windows that looked out four stories above the park. Being slightly less tired than me, she'd already assessed the potential and likelihood of our two offspring tear-arsing around the apartment and crashing through the windows at full tilt.

Thinking quickly, I suggested that things might look better after a cup of tea. However, after a thorough search of every cupboard, it soon became clear that we had no provisions whatsoever. After gazing out of the window at a vista of high rise office blocks, it was also apparent that this was not an area likely to be populated by many supermarkets or corner shops!

The next reaction, only fifteen minutes after arrival, was shared by both Mrs C and me at exactly the same time..........what the hell have we done?? We are on the other side of the world, in a new city, where we know nobody. Panic started to set in! However, a very quick call to the office of my new employer sorted things out.

"Hi, we are here but a bit stuck, do you know where the nearest supermarket is?"

"Oh, I am so sorry, I never thought - I'll be right over!"

An hour later and things were starting to look so much better. Despite one bag of essentials - tea, coffee, milk, cereal, bread and biscuits - costing more than a weekly shop in the UK, things had calmed down a little.

It also quickly became obvious that people here are polite, friendly, helpful and generally very very nice.

It's also a bit of a strange place - more later about bungy jumping, car number plates and estate agents.....

(Finally, for those of you that know me and read this, I haven't got access to your e-mail addresses (Andrew, Lesley, Jean etc). Send me an e-mail and I'll reply

5 comments:

crazed lunatic said...

glad to hear that you made it.... hopefully you're getting acquainted with your new surroundings! can't wait to hear more.

crazed lunatic said...

btw...don't you need to change your location on here now? ;)

update, you fool!

Anonymous said...

What happened to Day 1, Part 1? Or am I missing something?

Chipshaker said...

Day 1, Part 1 was the very first blog entry entitled, strangely enough, "Day 1"

I felt it was fairly logical that this would have been part 1 also. After all, who'd be stupid enough to start a story half way through....there's no money in that kind of malarky....ask George Lucas

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! It all becomes clear.

As confusing as discussing Star Wars films with my kids. They follow the 4, 5 and 6 nomenclature for the original films which I struggle to cope with.